What you can and cannot do inside an aircraft hangar
You’ll find aircraft hangars at almost all airports, both larger commercial airports and smaller executive airports like Monmouth Jet Center. If an airport has received grants from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), it must abide by the federal regulations regarding proper aircraft hangar usage. In this article our team will discuss the primary uses of aircraft hangers, as well as their limitations. If you have any questions or would like to know more, please contact us at Monmouth Jet Center.
What is the primary purpose of an aircraft hangar?
The primary purpose of an aircraft hangar is aircraft storage. At smaller regional airports you can find hangar space available for rent, sometimes for purchase, and for those who are serious about flying you can even build a custom aircraft hangar with a land lease.
Many flying hobbyists and frequent flyers prefer to use executive airports instead of large commercial ones because there’s rarely a wait for hangar space, and smaller airports can more readily cater to your needs. Conveniently, you can have your aircraft serviced while it’s in the hangar, ensuring it’s in top condition and ready to go upon your return.
Aircraft hangar limitations
Under FAA guidelines, aircraft hangars cannot be used for the following purposes:
- Operating a non-aviation business, like a car rental service, a storage facility for anything other than aircraft
- Storing aircraft parts and materials (unless it is accompanied by an air worthy aircraft)
- Long-term storage for aircraft that are out of service or no longer able to fly
- Storage for explosive, corrosive, or otherwise dangerous materials and substances
- Anything that blocks the entrance to the hangar, obstructing the aircraft’s path from entering and exiting the space
- As a residence
- For any activities that are deemed illegal by state and local laws
- For storing large items that should be stored in a commercial storage facility, like furniture or cars
- Any activities that disrupt and obstruct nearby hangars
Whether you are looking to rent an aircraft hangar for long-term use, or you’re interested in building a custom hangar for your personal aircraft, Monmouth Jet Center will help you find the option that works best for you.
For more information about aircraft hangars, or if you have any questions, please contact our team at Monmouth Jet Center today. We look forward to hearing from you.