Are you interested in becoming a sport pilot? For those who are just starting on their pilot journey, a sport pilot license is one of the easiest certifications to obtain. Mainly intended for those who wish to fly as a hobby, with a sport pilot certification you are licensed to fly light aircrafts only, during daytime hours, and you must stay within your local area. You’re also permitted to have only one passenger and must stay below an altitude of 10,000 feet.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the most frequently asked questions about being a sport pilot, including qualifications and training.
Who is eligible to become a sport pilot?
- You must be at least 17 years old to begin a sport pilot qualification course
- You must be able to read, write and speak English
- You must have a third class medical certificate, or a valid license for light-sport aircraft operation
What kind of training is needed to qualify as a sport pilot?
- You must log at least 20 hours of flight time, 15 of which must be with a licensed flight instructor. Your remaining five hours must be solo flights.
- Types of training you must log during your flying time include cross-country flight training, take-offs and landings, and a solo cross-country flight.
What are the limitations of a sport pilot license?
- You cannot accept money for transporting people or cargo
- You cannot have more than one passenger on board
- You cannot fly at night
- You cannot fly at an altitude of more than 10,000 feet
- You cannot fly in certain classes of airspace
How long will it take to obtain my sport pilot certification?
On average, it takes people between six weeks and three months, assuming they already have the necessary medical certificate or driver’s license required to begin studying and training. Everyone completes their sport pilot training at their own pace, so the time frame depends on how frequently you can study and log practice hours.
Learn to fly at Monmouth Airport in New Jersey
At Monmouth Executive Airport, we’ve helped many people achieve their dream of learning to fly. Whether you’re thinking about pursuing a career as a pilot or you’re only interested in flying as a hobby, our NJ flight school instructors will support you on your journey. We provide industry-leading education and training, so you’ll be up in the air in no time.
For more information about earning your sport pilot certification, or if you’re interested in obtaining other pilot certifications, please contact our team at Monmouth Executive Airport today. Discover why so many people come to us for sport pilot training in NJ.