Are you interested in becoming a sport pilot? For those who are just starting on their pilot journey, a sport pilot license is one of the easiest certifications to obtain. Mainly intended for those who wish to fly as a hobby, with a sport pilot certification you are licensed to fly light aircrafts only, during daytime hours, and you must stay within your local area. You’re also permitted to have only one passenger and must stay below an altitude of 10,000 feet.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the most frequently asked questions about being a sport pilot, including qualifications and training.
Who is eligible to become a sport pilot?
- You must be at least 17 years old to begin a sport pilot qualification course
- You must be able to read, write and speak English
- You must have a third class medical certificate, or a valid license for light-sport aircraft operation
What kind of training is needed to qualify as a sport pilot?
- You must log at least 20 hours of flight time, 15 of which must be with a licensed flight instructor. Your remaining five hours must be solo flights.
- Types of training you must log during your flying time include cross-country flight training, take-offs and landings, and a solo cross-country flight.
What are the limitations of a sport pilot license?
- You cannot accept money for transporting people or cargo
- You cannot have more than one passenger on board
- You cannot fly at night
- You cannot fly at an altitude of more than 10,000 feet
- You cannot fly in certain classes of airspace
How long will it take to obtain my sport pilot certification?
On average, it takes people between six weeks and three months, assuming they already have the necessary medical certificate or driver’s license required to begin studying and training. Everyone completes their sport pilot training at their own pace, so the time frame depends on how frequently you can study and log practice hours.
Learn to fly at Monmouth Airport in New Jersey
At Monmouth Executive Airport, we’ve helped many people achieve their dream of learning to fly. Whether you’re thinking about pursuing a career as a pilot or you’re only interested in flying as a hobby, our NJ flight school instructors will support you on your journey. We provide industry-leading education and training, so you’ll be up in the air in no time.
For more information about earning your sport pilot certification, or if you’re interested in obtaining other pilot certifications, please contact our team at Monmouth Executive Airport today. Discover why so many people come to us for sport pilot training in NJ.
Have you ever been curious about enrolling in a pilot training program? Many people dream about learning to fly, whether as a career choice or a hobby. At Monmouth Executive Airport, we run a premier flight school in NJ where you can pursue your passion, learn all about becoming a pilot, and experience the freedom of flying.
Taking flying lessons is incredibly rewarding, and we’re proud to say that we’ve worked with hundreds of people of all different ages and experience levels. Whether you’re brand new to the world of flying with no prior experience, or you’ve had some flying experience before, we welcome you to participate in our pilot training program. We also welcome you to take a Discovery flight with one of our certified instructors.
What to expect during a Discovery flight
Once you’re ready to learn to fly, your first point of call will be a Discovery flight. This is exactly what it sounds like – an introductory flight that allows you to discover what it’s like to operate an aircraft.
Here’s what you can expect during a typical Discovery flight:
- While still on the ground, a certified flight instructor will walk you around the aircraft and familiarize you with all the components, both inside and out. You’ll get a tour of the cockpit including all major controls, and the instructor will be sure that you understand all functionalities before getting up in the air.
- You’ll then learn how to check all the flight systems to ensure the aircraft is ready for take-off.
- Now that the plane is ready for take-off, you’ll join the instructor in the aircraft for a short flight, usually around 45 minutes. While in the air, you’ll assist with monitoring fuel levels, engine oil, aircraft lights, and other essential components.
- The flight instructor may also allow you to assist them with some gentle, easy maneuvers while you’re in the air.
- Once you’re back on the ground, the pilot will show you how to examine the aircraft for any signs of damage.
Discovery flights are great for people who want to get a taste of what it’s like to be a pilot, and we recommend taking one before you sign up for pilot training.
For more information about Monmouth Executive Airport’s flight school, or if you’d like more information about Discovery flights, please contact our team today. Find out why so many people in New Jersey choose our pilot training program. We look forward to hearing from you.
If you’ve ever thought about attending flight school as a pathway to becoming a pilot, you are probably curious about what the average day at flight school is really like. Many people are curious about flying and dream of turning it into a career, and at Monmouth Executive Airport’s flight school we’re proud to help people of all ages and abilities to achieve this dream. Here’s a quick guide of what you can expect when attending our flight school.
What day one of flight school looks like in NJ:
- You’ll arrive at Monmouth Airport, sign in for the day, and receive your instructions for the day’s assignments. Flight school assignments are designed to improve your abilities and will get more complex as the course progresses. Don’t worry, you’ll have a certified flight instructor with you the entire time.
- After receiving your assignment for the day, you’ll attend a briefing with your flight instructor during which you’ll review the assignment, go over any questions, and confirm what you need to achieve on that particular day.
- It’s time to get up in the air! Alongside your instructor you’ll carry out your assignment and work on your flying skills.
- Once you land, you’ll have a debrief with your instructor and go over things you did well, areas for improvement, and discuss any other issues. Your instructor’s feedback is very valuable and the debrief session is where you can really hone your skills as a future pilot.
- Now that your daily flight is done, it’s time to study the materials from your flight school and learn even more about what it’s like to be a pilot.
- Before you finish for the day, you’ll have an opportunity to chat with your flight instructor, your advisor, or other flight school students. And with that, your first day at flight school has come to an end.
Pursue your flight school dreams in New Jersey
As mentioned above, people of all ages and abilities can attend flight school. Whether you’ve been dreaming of training to be a pilot for years, or you think it may be a new hobby to enjoy, our instructors work with beginners and advanced flyers alike. Flight school will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to get your pilot’s license and experience the freedom of flying.
Don’t put off your dreams any longer! To learn more about taking flying lessons at Monmouth Executive Airport in New Jersey, or if you have any other questions, please contact our team today.
The aviation industry went through a lot of ups and downs in 2020, and here at Monmouth Executive Airport we’ve been carefully watching the industry to understand what trends we’ll be seeing throughout 2021. Business travel via private jet is convenient, quick, and more affordable than it’s been in the past, so with that in mind, here are several business aviation trends we expect to see in 2021:
- We’ll see more first-time business travelers using private jets.
After experiencing a year filled with travel disruptions, executives will want to take advantage of how convenient it is to travel via private jet, especially given their busy schedules. We also anticipate executives wanting to connect in person once it’s safe to do so.
- An enhanced focus on hygiene and cleanliness. Hygiene has always been important to the aviation industry, especially when there are so many people in a small space. Given the fact that private jets allow business travelers to avoid crowded terminals and cramped airplane seating, we expect executives will prefer flying private for increased comfort and peace of mind.
- Increased demand due to flexibility. The pandemic has proven that travel is one of the things people miss the most, and whether for business or leisure, private jets are more readily available and offer more options than commercial flights. Business travelers often have strict schedules and require a jet in last-minute situations, so we expect to see increased demand from executives.
- An increased focus on client experience and retention. With a predicted increase in demand, companies will be going above and beyond to ensure private flyers have a seamless experience and keep coming back. Business travelers who require private jets with flexible schedules just might become regular clients in 2021.
Are you ready to learn to fly?
One thing we learned in 2020 is that we shouldn’t delay pursuing our interests and our passions. Many people are interested in taking flying lessons, but simply haven’t gotten around to it yet. If this sounds familiar, then now is the time to pursue your dream of getting up in the air! At Monmouth Executive Airport we have a world-class flight school for people of all ages and experience levels, and we love sharing the excitement that comes from soaring through the sky.
For more information about Monmouth Executive Airport, or if you’d like to find out more about our flying school, please feel free to contact us today.
The Coronavirus pandemic has left many wondering how and when they will be able to safely travel and visit friends and family that live overseas. Although some domestic airlines are operating again, safety and social distancing are a valid concern and may prove to be quite difficult to implement in busy airport terminals and oftentimes tightly packed commercial planes with small seats and little legroom, to say the least.
Many believe that technology like biometrics might become the new normal at check-ins and security points as it helps to avoid human-to-human contact and the handling of documents back and forth and thus the spreading of germs. Facial recognition as well as fingerprint and eye-scan technology could prove to be the way forward to assist in maintaining social distancing at airports and may also allow for the faster processing of passengers through airport terminals.
Time is money and the time spent to board a commercial aircraft post-COVID 19 could be lengthy considering all the new health and safety protocols that airlines and airports will have to implement. That’s why private aviation is so appealing.
4 reasons why private aviation saves time and poses fewer risks
- Passengers boarding a private jet spend a lot less time at the airport because the average time from arriving at the airport to boarding your charter plane is less than 15 minutes.
- Fewer people at the airport mean fewer health and safety procedures thus saving you time, and if we may state the obvious, far fewer passengers on your plane.
- No queues at immigration, fewer shops (if any) and no need for baggage to be labeled at the check-in counter all mean less human interaction and fewer safety risks for those who simply cannot afford to get sick or who may be in a high-risk category should they get sick from the Coronavirus.
- Chartering a private jet at Monmouth Jet Center also means you can fly at your own schedule because smaller jets fly faster and higher than commercial airlines and so their flight paths are more direct and they do not compete with larger airlines for airspace.
Monmouth Executive airport offers low-risk travel solutions, custom hangar space in NJ as well as a flight school in NJ
You can even learn to fly NJ at Monmouth airport in New Jersey which is conveniently located just outside of crowded NY area airspace making it one of the safest places to learn to fly and one of the top flight schools in NJ. Enjoy some flying lessons in NJ and experience the thrill of learning to fly NJ in uncrowded airspace and beautiful surroundings.